At Stake in this Referendum
On 1 June 2022, Danish voters will head to the polls to participate in a referendum concerning the future of Denmark’s current opt-out status from the European Union’s Common Security and Defence Policy.
The question on the ballot is as follows:
“Do you vote yes or no to Denmark participating in the European collaboration on security and defence by revoking the EU defence opt-out?”
Danish voters may indicate their preference by responding “YES” or “NO” to referendum questions.
- Chief of State: Queen MARGRETHE II (since 14 January 1972)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Mette FREDERIKSEN (since 27 June 2019)
- Assembly: unicameral legislature called the Folketinget, which is comprised of 179 representatives.
- The Danish parliament, the Folketinget, is a unicameral institution comprised of 179 seats. Of these seats, 175 are contested within mainland Denmark using a system of list proportional representation featuring provisions for effective preferential voting within party lists. Denmark possesses a “two-tier” allocation system, in which the distribution of seats occurs at two distinct levels. The initial allocation of seats occurs at the lower level, where 135 representatives are determined within ten multi-member constituencies. The final distribution of seats occurs at the higher, national level, where the 40 remaining “compensatory” seats are distributed across mainland Denmark’s three electoral provinces based on all the votes cast at the lower level. The Faeroe Islands and Greenland elect two representatives according to separate rules.
- The previous general election was held on 5 June 2019.
Population and Registered Voters:
- Female Population: 2,945,622 (2020 est.)
- Is Denmark a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
- Has Denmark ratified CEDAW: Yes (ratified 21 April 1983)
- Gender Quota: There are no legislated or voluntary party quotas.
- Female candidates in this election: N/A
- Number of Female Legislators: 71 out of 179 (39.66 percent)
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: Rank 10 at 0.940 (2020)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very low
- Is Denmark a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
- Has Denmark ratified CRPD: Yes (24 July 2009)