At stake in this election:
All 230 seats of the Assembly of the Republic .
Description of government structure :
- Chief of State: President Marcelo REBELO DE SOUSA (since 9 March 2016)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Antonio Luis Santos da COSTA (since 24 November 2015)
- Assembly: The unicameral Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da Republica) has 230 seats.
Description of electoral system :
- The President is elected by absolute majority popular vote in a two-round vote to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the President and is usually the leader of the majority party or coalition.
- The Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da Republica) has 226 members directly elected in multi-seat constituencies by closed-list proportional representation vote, and 4 members (2 each in 2 constituencies) to represent Portuguese citizens living abroad that are directly elected by proportional representation vote. Members serve 4-year terms.
The last Assembly of the Republic election was held on October 6th, 2019. 5,092,424 votes were cast and there was a 52% voter turnout. The Portuguese Socialist Party won 106 seats (36.65% of the vote), the Social Democratic Party won 77 seats (27.9% of the vote), the Left Bloc won 19 seats (9.67% of the vote), and the Unitary Democratic Coalition won 12 seats (6.46% of the vote). All other parties received less than 5% of the vote .
Main parties in this election:
- Socialist Party (PS) / Partido Socialista
- Leader: António COSTA
- Seats won in last election: 108 out of 230
- Social Democratic Party (PPD/PSD) / Partido Social Democrata
- Leader: Rui RIO
- Seats won in last election: 79 out of 230
- Left Bloc (BE) / Bloco de Esquerda
- Leader: Catarina MARTINS
- Seats won in last election: 19 out of 230
- Portuguese Communist Party (PCP) / Partido Comunista Portugues
- Leader: Jerónimo de SOUSA
- Seats won in last election: 10 out of 230
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 10,263,850 (July 2021 est.) 
- Registered Voters: 9,684,922 (2019 est.) 
- Female Population: 5,390,000 (2019 est.) 
- Is Portugal a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (signed 24 April 1980)
- Has Portugal ratified CEDAW: Yes (ratified 30 July 1980) 
- Gender Quota: Yes, both legislated and voluntary quotas. (Portuguese Election Law requires a minimum representation of 33% of each sex, with a financial penalty for non-compliance.) 
- Female candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of female legislators: 92 out of 230 
- Human Development Index Position: 0.864 (ranked 38) 
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very low (11%) 
- Is Portugal a signatory to CRPD: Yes (signed 30 March 2007)
- Has Portugal ratified CRPD: Yes (ratified 23 September 2009) 
- Population with a disability: 1,623,796 (2021 est.)