At stake in this election:
- 240 seats in the National Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Rumen RADEV (22 January 2017)
- Head of Government: Interim Prime Minister Boyko BORISSOV (since 4 May 2017)
- Assembly: Bulgaria has a unicameral National Assembly (Narodno Sabranie) with 240 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is elected by parliament.
- In the National Assembly (Narodno Sabranie) 240 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.
- Bulgaria is divided into 31 multi-member districts, with each district having between 4 and 16 representatives based on population. Political parties and coalitions must receive at least 4 percent of valid votes at the national level to receive a seat. Due to 4% stipulation, many smaller parties register and run as coalitions.
Population and number of registered voters: