At stake in this election:
- 100 seats in the House of People’s Representatives
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Teodoro OBIANG NGUEMA MBASOGO *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Vicente EHATE TOMI
- Assembly: Equatorial Guinea has a bicameral National Assembly consisting of the Senate (Senado) with 70 seats and the House of People's Representatives (Camara de Representantes del Pueblo) with 100 seats.
* OBIANG NGUEMA MBASOGO became president after seizing power in a military coup. He was last reelected in 2009.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 7-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the Senate (Senado), 55 members are elected and 15 members are appointed by the President*. In the House of People's Representatives (Camara de Representantes del Pueblo) 100 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.
* The May 26, 2013 election establishes the Senate. Previously, Equatorial Guinea had a unicameral system.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Democratic Party of Equatorial Guinea (PDGE) / Partido Democrático de Guinea Ecuatorial
- Leader: Teodoro OBIANG NGUEMA MBASOGO
- Party: Citizens for Innovation / Ciudadnos para Innovacion
- Leader: Nsé Obiang OBONO
- Coalition: Together We Can / Juntos Podemos
- Leader: Santiago Obama NDONG
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,267,689 (2017 est.)
- Registered Voters: 325,555 ( 2017)
- Female Population: 565,935 (2017 est.)
- Is Equatorial Guinea a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
- Has Equatorial Guinea ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (23 October 1984)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 20 (House) 11 (Senate)
- Human Development Index Position: 141 (2018)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
- Is Equatorial Guinea a signatory to CRPD: No
- Has Equatorial Guinea ratified CRPD: No
- Population with a disability: 111,111 (2017 est.)