At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Maldives
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Mohammed WAHEED Hassan Maniku *
- Head of Government: President Mohammed WAHEED Hasssan Maniku
- Assembly: Maldives has a unicameral People's Council (Majlis) with 77 seats.
* On February 7, 2012, Maldives President Mohamed NASHEED stepped down amidst political unrest. Vice President Mohamed WAHEED Hassan Maniku assumed the office of President.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Mohamed NASHEED
- Party: Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) / ދިވެހިރައްޔިތުންގެ ޑިމޮކްރެޓިކް ޕާޓީ
- Abdulla YAMEEN
- Party: Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) / ޕްރޮގްރެސިވް ޕާރޓީ އޮފް މޯލްޑިވްސް: ޕީ.ޕީ.އެމް
- Following the annulment of the first election for the president of Maldives held on September 7, 2013 due to irregularities over the voter rolls. A new election was held on November 9, 2013, with Mohamed NASHEED winning 46.93% of the vote, falling short of the absolute majority necessary to avoid a run-off. Although the three candidates had previously accepted moving up the run-off to November 10, 2013 to elect a new president by the constitutional deadline of November 11, 2013, the Supreme Court suspended the runoff and ordered that it be held on November 16, 2013. As such, the second round of elections will take place on November 16, 2013.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 393,988 (July 2013 est.)
- Registered Voters: 239,593 (September 2013)
· Female Population: 195,943 (2013)
· Is Maldives a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Maldives ratified CEDAW: Yes, acession (1 July 1993)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 5 (following the 2009 parliamentary elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 104 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Maldives a signatory to CRPD: Yes (2 October 2007)
· Has Maldives ratified CRPD: Yes (5 April 2010)
· Population with a disability: 59,098 (est.)