At stake in this Referendum:
- Popular support for a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage. The referendum was a result of a petition by a Catholic group, “In the Name of the Family,” which collected over 700,000 signatures in May 2013. Following a vote in the Parliament (Sabor) in November, it was decided that a referendum on the question would be held on December 1, 2013.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ivo JOSPOVIC
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Zoran MILANOVIC
- Assembly: Croatia has a unicameral Assembly (Hrvatski Sabor) with 152 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The referendum will be valid if more than 50% of those who vote approve of the provision at stake.
Main Question in the Referendum:
- Are you in favor of the constitution of the Republic of Croatia being amended with a provision stating that marriage is matrimony between a woman and a man?
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 4,475,611 (July 2013 est.)
- Registered Voters: 3,740,951 (April 2013)
· Female Population: 2,203,662 (2013)
· Is Croatia a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Croatia ratified CEDAW: Yes, succession (9 September 1992)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 36 (following the 2011 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 47 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Croatia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Croatia ratified CRPD: Yes (15 August 2007)
· Population with a disability: 671,341 (est.)