At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Paraguay
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Nicanor DUARTE Frutos *
- Head of Government: President Nicanor DUARTE Frutos
- Assembly: Paraguay has a bicameral Congress (Congreso) consisting of the Chamber of Senators (Camara de Senadores) with 45 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) with 80 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Chamber of Senators (Camara de Senadores) 45 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms*. In the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) 80 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.**
* Senators are elected in one national constituency.
** The Chamber of deputies is divided into 18 multi member constituencies.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Pedro Nicolás Maráa FADUL Niella
- Party: Beloved Fatherland Movement/Movimiento Patria Querida
- Horacio Enrique GALEANO Perrone
- Party: New Hope Movement/Movimiento Teta Pyahu
- Julio Cesar LOPEZ Benitez
- Party: Party of the Workers/Partido de los Trabajadores
- Fernando Armindo LUGO Mendez
- Party: Patriotic Alliance for Change/Alianza Patriotica por el Cambio
- Sergio MARTINEZ Estigarribia
- Party: Paraguayan Humanist Party/Partido Humanista Paraguayo
- Blanca Margarita OVELAR de Duarte
- Party: National Republican Association - Red Party/Asociacion Nacional Republicana - Partido Colorado
- Lino Cesar OVIEDO Silva
- Party: National Union of Ethical Citizens/Union Nacional de Ciudadanos Eticos
Population and registered voters:
- Population: 6,047,131 (2008)
- Registered Voters: 2,861,940 (2008)
· Female Population: 2,981,439 (2008)
· Is Paraguay a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Paraguay ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (12 January 1995)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 10 (Chamber of Deputies); 7 (Senate) following the 2008 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 112 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Paraguay a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Paraguay ratified CRPD: Yes (3 September 2008)
· Population with a disability: 907,069 (est.)