At stake in this Referendum:
- This referendum asked voters to approve of the ban on gun sales to civilians.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Luiz Inacio LULA DA SILVA
- Head of Government: President Luiz Inacio LULA DA SILVA
- Assembly: Brazil has a bicameral National Congress (Congresso Nacional) consisting of the Federal Senate (Senado Federal) with 81 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Camara dos Deputados) with 513 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Approval of proposed ban on gun sales to civilians. Should the sale of firearms and ammunition be prohibited in Brazil?
O comércio de armas de fogo e munição deve ser proibido no Brasil?
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 186,112,794 (July 2005 )
- Registered Voters: 122,042,825 (October 2005 )
· Female Population: 95,478,604 (2005)
· Is Brazil a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (31 March 1981)
· Has Brazil ratified CEDAW: Yes (1 February 1984)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 44 (Chamber of Deputies); 10 (Federal Senate) (following 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 75 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Brazil a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Brazil ratified CRPD: Yes (1 August 2008)
· Population with a disability: 27,916,919 (est.)