At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Suriname
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Runaldo Ronald VENETIAAN *
- Head of Government: Head of Government Runaldo Ronald VENETIAAN
- Assembly: Suriname has a unicameral the National Assembly (Nationale Assemblee) with 51 seats.
* If no presidential or vice presidential candidate receives a two-thirds majority in the National Assembly after two votes, a simple majority is required in the United People's Assembly (Volksvergadering), which consists of 893 representatives from the national, local, and regional councils.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by the National Assembly to serve a 5-year term.
- In the the National Assembly (Nationale Assemblee) 51 members are elected through an open-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.***
*** Members are elected to 10 multi-member constituencies. District magnitude is determined by the constitution and not population size.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Ronald VENETIAAN
- Party: New Front for Democracy and Development / Nieuwe Front voor Democratie en Ontwikkeling (NF)
- Rabin PARMESSAR
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 486,618 (July 2010 est.)
- Registered Voters: 891 (August 2005 Number reflects number of members of People’s Assembly, which is composed of members of parliament, provincial and district councils)
· Female Population: 245,048 (2005)
· Is Suriname a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Suriname ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (1 March 1993)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 13 (following the 2005 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 103 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/a
· Is Suriname a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Suriname ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 73,799 (est.)