At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Greece
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Konstandinos STEPHANOPOULOS
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Konstandinos KARAMANLIS
- Assembly: Greece has a unicameral Parliament (Vouli ton Ellinon) with 300 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by parliament to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Parliament (Vouli ton Ellinon) 300 members are elected by popular vote to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Karolos PAPOULIAS*
- Party: N/A
* Sole candidate running for election.
Last Presidential election:
- The last election was on February 8, 2000. Konstandinos STEPHANOPOULOS was reelected president with 90% of the parliamentary vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 10,987,314 (2005)
- Registered Voters: 300 (February 2004 members of the Parliament)
· Female Population: 5,578,578 (2005)
· Is Greece a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (2 March 1982)
· Has Greece ratified CEDAW: Yes (7 June 1983)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 39 (following the 2004 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 29 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Greece a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Greece ratified CRPD: Yes (31 May 2012)
· Population with a disability: 1,648,097 (est.)