At stake in this Referendum:
- The territorial status of Puerto Rico. If Puerto Ricans vote for an option other than the current than the current status, the government of Puerto Rico will be expected to petition the United States federal government on their behalf.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Barack H. OBAMA
- Head of Government: Governor Luis FORTUNO
- Assembly: Puerto Rico has a bicameral Legislative Assembly (Asamblea Legislativa) consisting of the Senate (Senado) with 27 seats and the House of Representatives (Cámara de Representantes) with 51 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Do you agree that Puerto Rico should continue to have its present form of territorial status?*
* A follow up question of all voters regardless of the their vote on the first question. Voters will be given the option to choose which non-territorial option they would prefer, with the options being; Statehood, Independence, or Sovereign Free Associated State.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 3,690,923 (July 2012 est.)
- Registered Voters: 2,382,738 (November 2012 )