At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Paraguay
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Juan Carlos WASMOSY
- Head of Government: President Juan Carlos WASMOSY
- Assembly: Paraguay has a bicameral Congress (Congreso) consisting of the Chamber of Senators (Camara de Senadores) with 45 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) with 80 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Chamber of Senators (Camara de Senadores) 45 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms. In the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) 80 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Raúl Cubas GRAU
- Party: National Republican Association (Also known as "Colorado Party") (ANR)
- Domingo LAINO**
- Party: Democratic Alliance
- Other Candidates
- Party: N/A
** The Democratic Alliance is composed of the Authentic Liberal Radical Party (PLRA) and the National Encounter Party (PEN).
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on May 9, 1993. In this election, Juan Carlos WASMOSY received 39.92% of the vote and thus defeated Domingo LAINO, his closest competitor with 32.13% of the vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 5,089,306 (1998)
- Registered Voters: 2,049,449 (1998)
· Female Population: 2,514,623 (1998)
· Is Paraguay a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Paraguay ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (12 January 1995)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 2 (Chamber of Deputies); 8 (Senate) following the 1998 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 112 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Paraguay a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Paraguay ratified CRPD: Yes (3 September 2008)
· Population with a disability: 763,395 (est.)