At stake in this Referendum:
- A referendum to approve a new constitution.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Andry RAJOELINA *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Albert Camille VITAL
- Assembly: Madagascar has a bicameral Legislature consisting of the Senate (Sénat) with 90 seats and the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 160 seats.
* Marc RAVALOMANANA, the elected president, resigned on March 17, 2009, turning power over to the military. The military then named RAJOELINA.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the President.
- In the Senate (Sénat), 60 members are indirectly elected by regions to serve 5-year terms and 30 members are appointed by the President to serve 5-year terms. In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale), 115 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 12 members are elected by single non-transferable vote to serve 5-year terms.**
** The 12 seats elected under SNTV are from two-member constituencies. Interim President Andry RAJOELINA dismissed the legislature on 19 March 2009.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- A Referendum to approve a new constitution.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 21,079,532 (2010)
- Registered Voters: 7,151,223 (November 2010)
· Female Population: 10,579,699 (2010)
· Is Madagascar a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Madagascar ratified CEDAW: Yes (17 March 1989)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 12 (following the 2007 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 154 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Madagascar a signatory to CRPD: Yes (25 September 2007)
· Has Madagascar ratified CRPD: Yes (12 June 2015)
· Population with a disability: 3,161,929 (est.)