At Stake in this Election:
- The Office of the President of the Republic of Korea.
- Chief of State: President MOON Jae-in (since 10 May 2017)
- Head of Government: President MOON Jae-in (since 10 May 2017)
- Assembly: The National Assembly of the Republic of Korea (Daehanminguk Gukhoe or Kuk Hoe / 대한민국 국회 大韓民國 國會) is a unicameral legislature consisting of 300 seats.
- The President of the Republic of Korea is elected to a five-year term using a single round plurality voting system and is limited to serving a single term. 
- The National Assembly (Kuk Hoe) is a unicameral institution consisting of 300 seats, of which 253 are directly elected in single-seat constituencies by simple majority vote. The remaining 47 seats are elected in a single national constituency using a system of proportional representation.* All members of the National Assembly serve four-year terms. 
* The method of seat distribution for the 47 members determined by proportional representation was amended following the passage of an electoral reform bill on 27 December 2019.  Thirty of those seats are now determined using a new compensatory system, while the remaining seats continue to be decided by the parallel voting systems that had existed prior to the reform.  The reform is expected to boost the presence of minor parties in the National Assembly and has consequently attracted backlash from main parties. 
- The last elections in the Republic of Korea were held on 15 April 2020 for the National Assembly (Kuk Hoe), while the last presidential elections were held on 9 May 2017.
Population and Registered Voters:
- Female Population: 25,791,849 (July 2021 est.) 
- Is South Korea a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (25 May 1983) 
- Has South Korea ratified CEDAW: Yes (27 December 1984) 
- Gender Quota: Yes, there are legislated gender quotas. Half of all candidates nominated for seats determined by list proportional representation and 30 percent of candidates running in single-seat constituencies must be women. 
- Female candidates in this election: One of the four major candidates is a woman.
- Number of Female Legislators: 57 out of 300 seats are held by women. 
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: Rank 23 at 0.916 (2020) 
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low 
- Is South Korea a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007) 
- Has South Korea ratified CRPD: Yes (11 December 2008) 
- Population with a disability: 7,367,279 (2022 est.)