Note: Candidates who recieved less than 5% of the vote are excluded from results.
At stake in this election:
- The Presidency of Costa Rica, as well as the 1st and 2nd Vice President positions [i]*
*Note: this election is being held concurrently with the Costa Rican Parliamentary election.
Description of government structure [ii]:
- Chief of State: President Carlos ALVARADO Quesada (since 8 May 2018)*.
- Assembly: The unicameral Legislative Assembly (Asamblea Legislativa).
*Note: The President is both the chief of state and head of government. There is also a First Vice President and Second Vice President elected on the same ballot as the president.
Description of electoral system [iii]:
- The president and vice presidents are directly on the same ballot by modified majority popular vote (40% threshold) for a 4-year term.
- The Legislative Assembly has 57 seats and is directly elected in multi-seat constituencies corresponding to the country’s 7 provinces. Members serve 4-year terms.
Last Election [iv]:
- The last presidential election was held on April 1, 2018. Carlos Alvarado Quesada won 60.59% of the vote (1,322,908 votes). Fabricio Alvarado Munoz recieved 39.41% of the vote (860,388 votes).
Main Candidates in this election*:
- National Liberation Party (PLN) / Partido Liberación Nacional
- President: Jose Maria FIGUERES
- First Vice President: Alvaro Ramirez BOGANTES
- Second Vice President: Laura Arguedas MEJIA
- Social Christian Unity Party (PUSC) / Partido Unidad Social Cristiana
- President: Lineth SABORIO
- First Vice President: Franco Pacheco ARCE
- Second Vice President: Gabriela de San Ramon AGUILAR
- Broad Front (FA) / Frente Amplio
- President: Jose Maria VILLALTA
- First Vice President: Patricia Mora CASTELLANOS
- Second Vice President: Gerardo Hernandez NARANJO
- New Republic Party (PNR) / Partido Nueva República
- President: Fabricio Alvarado MUNOZ
- First Vice President: Francisco Prendas RODRIGUEZ
- Second Vice President: Alexandra Loria BEECHE
- Social Democratic Progress Party (PPSD) / Partido Progreso Social Democrático
- President: Rodrigo Chaves ROBLES
- First Vice President: Stephan Brunner NEIBIG
- Second Vice President: Mary Munive ANGERMULLER
- A Just Costa Rica (CRJ) / Costa Rica Justa
- President: Rolando Araya MONGE
- First Vice President: Orlando Guerrero VARGAS
- Second Vice President: Ana Lupita Mora CHINCHILLA
*Note: there are a total of approximately 27 candidates in this election.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Female Population: Not available
- Is Costa Rica a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (signed 17 July 1980) [vii]
- Has Costa Rica ratified CEDAW: Yes (ratified 4 April 1986) [viii]
- Gender Quota: Yes, both legislated and voluntary quotas. (Costa Rican election law requires that ‘all delegations, electoral lists and other entities’ must be composed of 50% of each gender.) [ix]
- Female candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of female legislators: 26 out of 57 [x]
- Human Development Index Position: 0.810 (ranked 62) [xi]
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (28%) [xii]
- Is Costa Rica a signatory to CRPD: Yes (signed 30 March 2007) [xiii]
- Has Costa Rica ratified CRPD: Yes (ratified 1 October 2008) [xiv]
- Population with a disability: 722,122 (2022 est.) [xv]