Morocco Parliamentary Elections 2021
Country Name: Kingdom of Morocco
At stake in this election:
- 395 seats in the Moroccan Chamber of Representatives
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: King MOHAMED VI
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Saad Eddine El OTHMANI
- Assembly: Morocco has a bicameral Parliament (Barlaman) consisting of the Chamber of Counselors (Majlis al-Mustacharin) with 120 seats and the Chamber of Representatives (Majlis al-Nuwab) with 395 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The King is the hereditary head of state.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the monarch. The monarch is required to choose the prime minister from the largest party in parliament.
- In the Chamber of Counselors (Majlis al-Mustacharin) 120 members are elected by indirect vote to serve 6-year terms. Three-fifths of members represent local authorities, and the remaining members are elected by electoral colleges composed of elected representatives of professional chambers and professional organizations to represent employees*
- In the Chamber of Representatives (Majlis al-Nuwab), 395 members are elected by direct suffrage through a list system vote to serve 5-year terms.
- 305 members are elected in 92 multi-seat constituencies. The remaining seats are elected through a national list, with 60 seats being reserved for women, and 30 seats reserved for men under the age of 40.
*Size of Chamber of Counselors decreased after the new constitution of Morocco was enacted in 2011
- The last elections for the Chamber of Representatives were held on 7 October 2016.
Main candidates in this election:
- Party: Justice and Development Party / حزب العدالة والتنمية
- Leader: Saadeddine OTHMANI
- Seats won in last election: 125
- Party: Authenticity and Modernity Party / حزب الأصالة والمعاصرة
- Leader: Abdellatif OUAHBI
- Seats won in last election: 102
- Party Istiqlal Party / حزب الإستقلال
- Leader: Nizar BARAKA
- Seats won in last election: 46
- Party: National Rally of Independents / التجمع الوطني للأحرار
- Leader: Aziz AKHANNOUCH
- Seats won in last election: 37
- Party: Popular Movement / الحركة الشعبية
- Leader: Mohand LAENSER
- Seats won in last election: 27
- Party: Socialist Union of Popular Forces / الاتحاد الاشتراكي للقوات الشعبية
- Leader: Driss LACHGAR
- Seats won in last election: 20
Population and number of registered voters:
- Female Population: 18,804,401 (est. 2021)
- Is Morocco a signatory to CEDAW: No
- Has Morocco ratified CEDAW: 21 June 1993
- Gender Quota: Yes, legislated quotas for the single/lower house and at the sub-national level; 60 seats reserved in the lower house and 15 additional seats as part of the youth list that comprises 30 persons
- Female candidates in this election: 2,329 candidates (out of 6,833 total candidates)
- Human Development Index Position: 121
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very high
- Is Morocco a signatory to CRPD: 30 Mar 2007
- Has Morocco ratified CRPD: 8 Apr 2009
- Population with a disability: 4,998,405