At stake in this election:
- The office of the President of Moldova.
The first round of this election was held on November 1, 2020. No candidate received a majority of the votes, resulting in a run-off election between the top two candidates.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Igor DODON (since 23 December 2016)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Ion CHICU (since 14 November 2019)
- Assembly: Moldova has a unicameral Parliament composed of 101 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The president of Moldova is directly elected, in two rounds if needed, for a 4-year term with eligibility for a second term.
Main candidates in this election:
- Maia SANDU
- Party of Action and Solidarity
- Vote received in the first round: 36.16%
- Igor DODON
- Independent, supported by PSRM
- Vote received in the first round: 32.61%