At stake in this election:
- The 127 seats in the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Roch Marc Christian KABORÉ (since 29 December 2015)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Christophe Joseph Marie DABIRÉ (since 24 January 2019)
- Assembly: Burkina Faso has a National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 127 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the president with the approval of the parliament.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) 127 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.**
**In the National Assembly, 111 members are elected by proportional representation in 45 multi-member constituencies having between 2 and 9 seats, and 16 members are elected by proportional representation in a nationwide constituency.