At stake in this election:
- The 127 seats in the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Interim President Michel KAFANDO (since 18 November 2014)*
- Head of Government: Interim Prime Minister Lt Col Yacouba Isaac ZIDA (since 19 November 2014)*
- Assembly: Burkina Faso has a National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 127 seats.
*Both the Interim President and Interim Prime Minister came to power shortly after a period of political unrest following the resignation of former President Blaise COMPAORE on 31 October 2014 and again after a short-lived coup in September 2015. More information about the transition can be found here.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the president with the approval of the parliament.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) 127 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.**
**In the National Assembly, 111 members are elected by proportional representation in 45 multi-member constituencies having between 2 and 9 seats, and 16 members are elected by proportional representation in a nationwide constituency.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: African Democratic Rally-Alliance for Democracy and Federation / Alliance pour la Démocratie et la Féderation – Rassemblement Démocratique Africain (ADF-RDA)
- Leader: Gilbert OUEDRAOGO
- Seats won in last election: 18
- Party: Congress for Democracy and Progress / Congrès pour la Démocratie et le Progrès (CDP)
- Leader: Assimi KOUANDA
- Seats won in last election: 70
- Party: Party for Democracy and Progress-Socialist Party / Parti pour la Démocratie et le Socialisme (PDP-PS)
- Leader: Francois O. KABORE
- Seats won in last election: 2
- Party: Union for Progress and Change / Union pour la Progrès et le Changement (UPC)
- Leader: Zephirin DIABRE
- Seats won in last election: 19
- Party: Union for the Republic / Union pour la République (UPR)
- Leader: Toussaint Abel COULIBALY
- Seats won in last election: 5
- The last election for the legislature was held on 2 December 2012. Turnout was 76%, with 4,365,153 registered voters, of whom 3,315,795 cast votes. The ADF-RDA Party won 18 seats (of 127); the CDP Party won 70 seats; and the UPC Party won 19 seats. Full results can be found here.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 18,931,686 (2015 est.)
- Registered voters: 5,517,015 (2015)
- Female Population: 9,465,843 (2015 est.)
- Is Burkina Faso a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
- Has Burkina Faso ratified CEDAW: Yes (14 October 1987)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female Candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators: 20 (16%) of 127 seats in the National Assembly
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 181
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High
- Is Burkina Faso a signatory to CRPD: Yes (23 May 2007) 
- Has Burkina Faso ratified CRPD: Yes (23 July 2009)
- Population with a disability: 2,839,753
 CENI Fichier Electorale Chiffres