At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Sao Tome and Principe
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Fradique DE MENEZES
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Joaquim Rafael BRANCO
- Assembly: Sao Tome and Principe has a unicameral National Assembly (Assembleia Nacional) with 55 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is elected by parliament.
- In the National Assembly (Assembleia Nacional) 55 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
*** There are 7 multi-member constituencies.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Evaristo do Espírito Santo CARVALHO
- Manuel Pinto DA COSTA
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 174,646 (2011)
- Registered Voters: 92,639 (July 2011)
· Female Population: 87,755 (2011)
· Is São Tomé a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (31 October 1995)
· Has São Tomé ratified CEDAW: Yes (3 June 2003)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 10 (following the 2010 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 143 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is São Tomé and Príncipe a signatory to CRPD: N/A
· Has São Tomé and Príncipe ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (5 November 2015)
· Population with a disability: 26,196 (est.)