At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Mozambique
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Armando GUEBUZA *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Luisa DIOGO
- Assembly: Mozambique has a unicameral Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da República) with 250 seats.
* The electoral system is two-round.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da República), 248 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms and 2 members are elected in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.***
*** 248 seats are apportioned among 11 multi-member constituencies corresponding to the provinces in proportion to their populations. Two single-seat constituencies represent Mozamibcans living abroad in Africa and "other countries," respectively. According to the electoral law (2007) these seats are "both based in Maputo."
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Armando GUEBUZA
- Party: Front for the Liberalization of Mozambique (Frelimo)
- Afonso DHLAKAMA
- Party: Mozambique National Resistance-Electoral Union (Renamo-UE)
- Daviz SIMANGO
- Party: Democratic Movement of Mozambique (MDM) / Movimento Democrático de Moçambique
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 23,647,815 (2009)
- Registered Voters: 9,871,949 (2009)
· Female Population: 12,165,637 (2009)
· Is Mozambique a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Mozambique ratified CEDAW: Yes (21 April 1997)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 98 (following the 2009 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 180 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Mozambique a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Mozambique ratified CRPD: Yes (30 January 2012)
· Population with a disability: 3,547,172 (est.)