At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Azerbaijan
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ilham ALIYEV
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Artur RASIZADE **
- Assembly: Azerbaijan has a unicameral National Assembly (Milli Mejlis) with 125 seats.
** Prime minister and first deputy prime minister are appointed by the president and confirmed by the National Assembly.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the National Assembly (Milli Mejlis) 125 members are elected by simple majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Ilham ALIYEV
- Iqbal AGAZADE
- Party: Azerbaijan Hope (Umid) Party / Az
- Gulamhuseyn ALIBAYLI
- Party: Independent
- Fuad ALIYEV
- Party: Azerbaijan Liberal-Democrat Party
- Hafiz HAJIYEV
- Party: Modern Equality Party
- Gudrat HASANGULIYEV
- Party: All-Azerbaijan Popular Front Party
- Fazil MUSTAFAYEV
- Party: Great Order Party
Population and number of registered voters
- Population: 8,763,400 (2008)
- Registered Voters: 4,834,584 (2008)
· Female Population: 4,429,490 (2008)
· Is Azerbaijan a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Azerbaijan ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (10 July 1995)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 13 (as of 2000 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 78 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
· Is Azerbaijan a signatory to CRPD: Yes (9 January 2008)
· Has Azerbaijan ratified CRPD: Yes (28 January 2009)
· Population with a disability: 1,162,224 (est.)