At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Democratic Republic of the Congo
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Joseph KABILA *
- Head of Government: President Joseph KABILA **
- Assembly: Democratic Republic of the Congo has a bicameral legislature consisting of the National Assembly with 500 seats and the Senate with 120 seats.
* Joseph KABILA succeeded to the presidency following the assassination of his father, Laurent Desire KABILA, on 16 January 2001.
** The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by direct popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly, 60 members are elected by majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 440 members are elected by open list proportional representation in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms. In the Senate 108 members are elected by indirect vote to serve 5-year terms.**
** The 108 members of the Senate are elected by indirect vote, by provincial deputies from within and outside the provincial Assembly, to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Joseph KABILA KABANGE
- Party: Independent Candidate
- Jean Pierre BEMBA GOMBA
- Party: Movement for the Liberation of Congo/Mouvement pour la Liberation du Congo
Population and registered voters:
- Population: 57,926,840 (2006)
- Registered voters: 25,421,249
· Female Population:29,137,200 (2006)
· Is Democratic Republic of the Congo a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Democratic Republic of the Congo ratified CEDAW: Yes (17 October 1986)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 42 (National Assembly) (following 2006 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 176 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (2014)
· Is Democratic Republic of the Congo a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Democratic Republic of the Congo ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (30 September 2015)
· Population with a disability: 8,689,026 (est.)