At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Ukraine
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Leonid D. KUCHMA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Viktor YANUKOVYCH
- Assembly: Ukraine has a unicameral Supreme Council (Verkhovna Rada) with 450 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president with the approval of the parliament.
- In the Supreme Council (Verkhovna Rada), 225 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms and 225 members are allocated by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Third Round of the Presidential race:
- Viktor YANUKOVICH
- Party: Regions of Ukraine
- Viktor YUSHCHENKO
- Party: Our Ukraine
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential elections were last held on October 31 and November 14, 1999. In this election, Leonid D. KUCHMA became president by winning 57.7% of the votes in the second round, while Petro SYMONENKO secured 38.8% of the votes.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 47,451,600 (2004)
- Registered Voters: 37,613,022 (2004)
· Female Population: 25,428,511 (2004)
· Is Ukraine a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Ukraine ratified CEDAW: Yes (12 March 1981)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 24 (following the 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 81 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Ukraine a signatory to CRPD: Yes (24 September 2008)
· Has Ukraine ratified CRPD: Yes (4 February 2010)
· Population with a disability: 7,117,740 (est.)