At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Mali
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Alpha Oumar KONARE
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Modibo KEITA
- Assembly: Mali has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) with 147 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) 147 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Toumani TOURE
- Party: Independent
- Soumaila CISSE
- Party: Alliance for Democracy
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential Elections were last held on May 11, 1997. Alpha Oumar KONARE received 95.9% of the vote. The first round of this presidential election was held on April 28, 2002.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 11,008,518 (July 2001 est.)
- Registered Voters: 5,746,202 (2002)
· Female Population: 5,856,905 (2002)
· Is Mali a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (5 February 1985)
· Has Mali ratified CEDAW: Yes (10 September 1985)
· Gender Quota: No, but there are voluntary quotas for some political parties
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 15 (following the 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 179 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (2014)
· Is Mali a signatory to CRPD: Yes (15 May 2007)
· Has Mali ratified CRPD: Yes (7 April 2008)
· Population with a disability: 1,758,452 (est.)