At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Mozambique
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Joaquim Alberto CHISSANO
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Pascoal MOCUMBI
- Assembly: Mozambique has a unicameral Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da Republica) with 250 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da Republica) 250 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the of the Presidential race:
- Joaquim CHISSANO
- Party: Mozambique Liberation Front / Frente de Libertação de Moçambique (FRELIMO)
- Alfonso DHLAKAMA
- Party: Mozambican National Resistance / Resistência Nacional Moçambicana (RENAMO)
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential Elections were last held on October 27, 1994. President Joaquim CHISSANO won 53.3% of the vote, thereby defeating Afonso DHLAKAMA who received 33.3%.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 17,774,066 (1999)
- Registered Voters: 7,099,105 (1999)
· Female Population: 9,254,717 (1999)
· Is Mozambique a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Mozambique ratified CEDAW: Yes (21 April 1997)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 75 (following the 1999 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 180 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Mozambique a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Mozambique ratified CRPD: Yes (30 January 2012)
· Population with a disability: 2,666,109 (est.)