At stake in this election:
- 115 seats in the National Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President KHAMTAY Siphandone
- Head of Government: Prime Minister BOUNNHANG Vorachit
- Assembly: Laos has a unicameral National Assembly with 115 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by the National Assembly to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the National Assembly 115 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.***
*** The total number of seats increased from 109 to 115 for the 2006 election.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Lao People's Revolutionary Party (LPRP)
- Leader: Choummaly SAYASONE
- Seats won in last election: 109
Last Parliamentary election:
- Parliamentary elections were last held on February 24, 2002.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 5,838,837 (2006)
- Registered Voters: 2,826,580 (March 2006)
· Female Population: 2,952,070 (2006)
· Is Laos a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Laos ratified CEDAW: Yes (14 August 1981)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 29 (following the 2006 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 141 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Laos a signatory to CRPD: Yes (15 January 2008)
· Has Laos ratified CRPD: Yes (25 September 2009)
· Population with a disability: 875,825 (est.)