At stake in this election:
- 500 seats in the National Assembly (Quoc-Hoi)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Tran Duc LUONG
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Phan Van KHAI
- Assembly: Vietnam has a unicameral National Assembly (Quoc-Hoi) with 500 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by the National Assembly to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Quoc-Hoi) 500 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.***
*** The number of seats will increase from 450 to 500 for this election.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Vietnamese Fatherland Front
- Leader: Nong Duc MANH
- Seats won in last election: 447
- Seats won in this election: 447
- Seats won in last election: 3
- Seats won in this election: 51
* 66 seats are held by non-Communist party members and independents who are approved by the Fatherland Front.
Last Parliamentary election:
- Elections were last held July 20, 1997.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 79,939,014 (July 2001 est)
- Registered Voters: 43,672,683
· Female Population: 40,366,845 (2002)
· Is Vietnam a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (29 July 1980)
· Has Vietnam ratified CEDAW: Yes (17 February 1982)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 136 (following the 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 116 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Vietnam a signatory to CRPD: Yes (22 October 2007)
· Has Vietnam ratified CRPD: Yes (5 February 2015)
· Population with a disability: 11,990,852 (est.)