At stake in this election:
- 112 seats in the Parliament
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ahmad Tejan KABBAH *
- Head of Government: President Ahmad Tejan KABBAH
- Assembly: Sierra Leone has a unicameral Parliament with 124 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Parliament, 112 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms and 12 members are elected by indirect vote to serve 5-year terms.***
*** The 12 paramount chiefs are indirectly elected to represent the 12 provincial districts.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Sierra Leone People's Party (SLPP)
- Leader: Ahmad Tejan KABBAH
- Seats won in this election: 83
- Seats won in last election: 27
- Party: All People's Congress (APC)
- Leader: Ernest Bai KOROMA
- Seats won in this election: 27
- Seats won in last election: 5
- Party: Peace and Liberation Party
- Leader: Johnny Paul KOROMA
- Seats won in this election: 2
- Seats won in last election: 3
Last Legislative election:
- Parliamentary elections were last held February 26-27, 1996.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 4,422,154 (2002)
- Registered Voters: 2,342,547 (2002)
· Female Population: 2,240,265 (2002)
· Is Sierra Leone a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (21 September 1988)
· Has Sierra Leone ratified CEDAW: Yes (11 November 1988)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 18 (following the 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 181 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (2014)
· Is Sierra Leone a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Sierra Leone ratified CRPD: Yes (4 October 2010)
· Population with a disability: 663,323 (est.)